View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maegilthalion
Officer / Donator
Explorer

re: Maeg's snowstorm rant

As many of you know, I live in Indianapolis.  Last weekend we got hit by 12" of snow followed by temperatures that hit -19F with windchill factors in the -40F range.  This snow was on top of the 5" we had gotten before the weekend.  This is extreme cold for what we're used to in Indy.

So what is it with the 'wartime' generation thinking they need to go out in subzero weather and shovel snow?  We have had 5 deaths attributed to the cold thus far here in Indy, all of them have been people over 60 years old out shoveling snow, or doing something strenuous outside in the cold.

So I go out this morning to look at my heat pump unit, which was drifted over.  I see my next door neighbor, a woman in her late 60's, just finishing shoveling her driveway.  This is something I normally do for her, but the last round of snow took the transmission (kaput) in my lawn tractor (snow blade), and now it sits.  My neighbor, a wonderful lady, has had pneumonia now for over 3 weeks, and her dr. keeps threatening to hospitalize her.

Do you think I was able to persuade her to go inside?  No way Jose'.  She was determined to get that damn driveway clear, even though I pointed out that she could already get her car out (and where the hell do you go during a snow emergency anyway?)

Hell, even I don't have any business shoveling snow in weather like this.  We flattened the snow in our driveway with our SUV.  Looks like hell, but nobody got hurt doing it.

Ok, I think I'm done ranting, thank you!

Maeg.

My eyeballs froze yesterday taking the hobbit to the bus stop. Thank you Dadi for my new parka!

I can see her point though. If you only shovel what you have to then it is twice as hard after the next dump of snow because you have to move that stuff too or get bogged down. My shoveled area gets smaller and smaller the closer to March we get so I don't have to throw it as high.

Snow sucks.

so I parked my car in then driveway, turned it off and went to get out when I noticed it was moving...alll the way down the driveway. Crazy ice.

Explorer

The CAR goes down the driveway and you blame the ICE?

Silly Canadians.....

Maeg.

It was turned off and in park!

Traveller

I find myself of equal thought to Maeg here ;)

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

So Star mentioned that her car slid out of her driveway today. With Dadi's, mine and Star's cars determined to get into the middle of the road while in park I think you should both stick a sock in it. Gently of course.

Explorer

...or stay out of Canada.  

Your autos up there are obviously possessed or something.

Maybe if you all carried blocks of wood and chocked your tires after you park....

lmao

Maeg

The wood would slide down too smart ass.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: