View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobireth
Noob

re: The Kobi Lore Master PVP Guide

First here are some things about LM skills you might not know
Always, always immediately sear your Burning Ember DOTs with Wizards Fire. This upgrades the damage of BE DOTs by 3 to 4 times. If you manage to get the maximum stack of 3 searing DOTs on your opponent he will be seriously hurting. A quirk about LMs is enemies standing in a Burning Gourd fire pool will often get BE DOTs.  Also, you proc 2 BE DOTs in one BE attack 30% of the time after traiting Dried Kindling, so always be on the lookout for BE DOT icons on your target for searing. Although there is a soft limit of 3 BE DOTs it is possible to have more than 3 BE DOTs at a time because of Burning Gourd, but the limit on 3 seared DOTs is a hard limit, so searing a BE DOT when you already have 3 seared DOTs will actually just cancel it. A seared DOT has the same icon as wizards fire itself, so don’t get confused.

Fire Shield is your best friend. It reflects 468 fire damage every single time you are hit, irrespective of your opponent’s mitigations. Even if you take damage of just 10 or 1 you will still reflect 468 back, making it deadly against creeps with fast but wimpy auto attacks. Although any fire skill has a chance to proc Fire Shield, the best way to get it up is to spam Wizards Fire repeatedly until you see it appear.

A quirk about LM’s auto attack is that it is a melee and will not be activated by tactical attacks. To activate your auto attacks you need to use staff strike or staff sweep once. The melee damage you inflict is free and automatic after activation and it will not impede your use of induction skills, so always remember to turn it on. Furthermore you should know that Blinding Flash and Bane Flare turn off your auto attack, so you need to turn on auto attack again after using them.

The raven is the best pet in most situations. It has a -50% ranged damage skill that helps immensely against BAs. Against other creeps it can use a -10% fire mitigation skill to increase your damage. You should right click these skills so they auto cast whenever your raven gets in combat and they are not on CD. Always toggle the assist skill to on, so your raven attacks your target automatically. All said, debuffs will help you much more that the miniscule extra damage from DPS-centric pets. 

Dazes & Stuns, Debuffs & Mits
Be clear about the difference between your daze and Stun skills. Blinding flash and bane flare daze while your other CC skills stun. Both put you to sleep so what’s the difference between them?  A dazes last longer but you wake from it when you are hit. A stun is shorter but its duration remains unaffected by damage. Players will get temp stun immunity after waking from a stun so use stun and daze alternately. Keep in mind that DOTS will wake your target from blinding flash or any kind of daze.  

A debuff is based on the attack type while mitigation is based on the damage type. There are 3 types of attack to debuff:  Melee(which you can B/P/E), Ranged (which you can B/E but not P) , and Tactical (which you can resist). Use Fire Lore to reduce Melee, Fire Lore plus a lightning attack(when traited) to reduce Ranged and Frost Lore to reduce Tactical attacks. (

There are however only 2 types of damage, Physical (common, orc craft) and Tactical (acid, fire etc.) You max out your 2 types of mitigation to reduce damage. The confusing part is if an attack causes a DOT, that DOT becomes a separate entity using a tactical attack doing tactical damage, but there is no way to debuff that DOT. So if a BA uses an attack with a Fire DOT, a Fire Lore plus lightning debuff only reduces the initial hit. The accompanying DOT attacks aren’t debuffed but they can be resisted and reduced by your tactical mitigation. A spider’s attacks is ranged so don’t use frost lore on a spider even if it take tactical damage. An attack is only tactical if it uses magic. One conclusion from this is frost lore is pretty much useless in the moors so don’t bother to trait it. 

What is the Optimal Gear?
The key here is to find the best balance between attack and defense. People automatically assume 6 pieces of audacity gear is best but this probably only true for healing classes. The bonus for all six pieces is extra finesse bonus, which is not that useful, especially when LMs have damage and fire resist legendary legacies. Furthermore, the additional incremental decrease in CC duration from 2 more audacity pieces is not as important to LMs because of our stun immunity skill. Although Audacity gear appears to boost your damage on the surface, because it only has 3 slots it actually reduces your damage at the expense of better defense.

The optimal combination for LMs is 4 pieces of Audacity 3 slot armour + 2 pieces of 5-slot PVE armour. The extra 4 slots you get from the PVE armour will more than compensate for the loss in audacity DPS. This combo allows you to share your top damage and morale essences in PVP and PVE, if you slot them all in the 2 PVE armour. Get your crit primarily using 4 x 1400+ Crit rating relics in your staff and book. Defensive essences are plentiful, so you can duplicate those on your audacity gear and your other PVE gear.

In addition you will also need at minimum one set of swap jewelry, comprising a 3 slot necklace, 3 slot bracelet and 3 slot ring. This will bring your morale up to about 30,000. Use purple morale essences if you have to, they are very cheap on the AH.

What is the Best Build?
The best Moors build is Orange line: Use red line as your basic build, but start by putting points in the yellow tree. It is important to have the Yellow trait Playing With Fire, to increase attack duration for wargs (fire lore + fire attack) or decrease ranged attack for BAs (fire lore + lightning attack). Have 3 clicks into the Ancient Craft trait box to get a bonus lightning strike with Lightning Storm (increases to 4) and Lightning Strike (doubles to 2). You have to use Ancient Craft to activate the bonus before you attack with lightning. The other yellow boxes to max out are Fire Lore, Lightning Damage. After you have done this, put the remaining points in red but make sure you go all the way down to Fire Shield. Skip Burning Earth, Ancient Fire, Fierce Lightning and Mighty Wind and put only one click in Ring Of Fire.

As for stats, you need Physical Mitigation, Resistance and Critical Defense of 18,000 to 19,000. These sound high but 4 pieces of audacity gear will get you part of the way there.  19,000 Physical Mitigation seems over the cap but you need it to bring your orc craft damage mitigations to the max of 40%.  2 Physical Mitigation Essences should get you there. Resistance is a crucial defense against spider and BAs. You should use your virtues to get your resistance up to the required level as one essences give much more mitigation than resistance. Critical Defense helps a lot as some creeps crit a lot. Use Crit Defense titles on your legendaries to help you but you will need at least one essence as well.  Tactical Mitigation should be 12,500. There should be no problem hitting this as you are will based. Once you reach the required ratings, top up any remaining slots with Tactical Mastery essences.

Consider having a secondary moors build in blue line. I’ll get into that in detail in another post but for now all I’ll say is it is much better for survivability when solo because of extra heals and instant inductions but the DPS is limited.  

Jumped by a Warg?
This is how most novice LMs die repeatedly, I added a special section about wargs.

Stage 1 – Setting up the fight
Unfortunately you will start the fight stunned. Recover from the stun by using the green potion (aromatic spirit). Do not attack the warg with fire skills for the time being and counter with a stun (like Storm Lore ). It will probably use a wake up potion/skill too so be prepared to daze the warg immediately after it wakes. The key here is to not use any skills that give DOTS to give yourself more time. During the window of opportunity, water lore yourself and throw fire lore and SOP command on the warg to reduce its melee damage.  

Stage 2 – the middle game
When the warg reawakens again restart the fight with a staff strike to turn on your auto attack and then wizards fire repeatedly until your fire shield is activated. Wargs get bonus damage when attacking from behind so maneuver accordingly, and if possible put your back against a large object. When you are down to 40% morale use Wisdom Of The Council to recover to full health.

The objective at this stage is to alternatively stun / daze the warg and then quickly throw Burning Embers, Ring of Fire and Burning Gourd. The thing with LM fire attacks is they will continue to do damage even if you are CCed. Burning Embers reduces the warg’s speed by 30% greatly reducing its speed advantage. Ring of fire causes damage each time the warg moves and because wargs like to flaunt their speed by jumping about and ROF will do a lot of damage. Burning gourd force the warg to move out of melee range if he wants to avoid continuous damage. However, do not attempt to use fire attacks if the warg is awake and next to you; it will simply move out of the arc of your attack.

Light Of The Rising Dawn, Gust Of Wind, Lightning Strike are omni-directional attacks so use skills like those if the warg is awake. They can still be interrupted with eye rake so it won’t be smooth sailing. Continue to refresh water lore, fire lore and SOP command as appropriate. In an emergency you can try to root the warg with cracked earth. It is more resistant to DOTs and will give you time to put enough distance to recover morale or do a long induction attack.   

Stage 3 – the end game
You continue to heal yourself through the fight while a warg cannot, making Water Lore the key to winning, so use it often during a fight. It stacks up to three times and each use of water lore also increases your incoming heal by 10% so having two water lore active heals more than double of one water lore.

Eventually the warg’s health will be down by quite a bit and you’ll want to finish it off with a lightning storm before it HIPSs. Throw Ancient Craft, followed by Call To The Valar (to prevent interruption), then Lightning Storm with its 4 mega strikes. A warg will not be unstealthed by damage for the first 10 seconds so just because you can’t see it reappear doesn’t mean it didn’t take damage. With some luck, DOTs will finish it off.

Last edited by kobireth on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Dstini
Explorer

Wonderful guide, hope I can get more Moors action myself soon!

A couple things which may help based on your suggestions:

I have my auto attack assigned to a hotkey. I'm used to using 'T' from other games, so mine is reassigned to that. You can toggle it while casting or doing whatever else, and it saves me from having to use a mostly useless staff strike in the meantime. My staff swipe does not toggle melee attacks, but I'm glad if yours does.

And yeah, need four of the searing/wf icons up, then you're good

I'm also curious, are there diminishing returns on stuns/mezzes in pvmp?

Noob

I also have a manual key (~) set to turn on auto attacks but in my view both require one key press so you might as well use Staff Strike unless its on CD which is very short. I mostly use the manual key to turn off auto attacks. Staff Strike causes a stun and it is an immediate no induction skill. That said since the Staff Strike stun has a long CD, you could wait for the right moment to use it. 

Yes, there are diminishing returns on CC, with a 20 sec reset.

First Reapplication = 50% of the duration
Second reapplication = 25% of the duration
Thereafter = 5% duration

since I am writing I might as well top up a few items I forgot to mention.

1. you should carry a stack of Parables and use them. Its a LM consumable that many LMs have forgotten about. It's use prevents interruptions in the same way as Call To The Valar. 

2. Familiarize yourself with which potions, skills and items cure CC, and which both prevent & cure CC. There are two applications to this. Firstly, prevention is better than cure so in some circumstances you might use, say your freep insignia in anticipation of CC, like before you do a massive lightning attack or before you make an dash for the back door. Secondly, try not to waste the CD of a prevent & cure item when all you need is a cure.

3. Many effects can be cured using your class cure skill, which removes 3 WDFP per time. You can use the skill on anyone, not just yourself. The skill may have an induction, but at least its an alternative to long CD pots.

3. I also forgot to mention it is important to keep stun immunity up on yourself during a solo fight. We call it stun immunity but it actually gives you immunity to all kinds of other CC - read its tool tip. In a group fight, its not that practical to keep SI permanently on the healer given its 20s CD, better to use it to wake someone up when they do get stunned.

4. Buff bars is a great plugin to improve your awareness of what DOTs, CCs, buffs and debuffs are affecting you and when they expire.

Last edited by kobireth on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dstini
Explorer

Yeah that's a great point about the parables. Lms cast quickly now so you're almost never interrupted in pve, but it would be a major problem in pvmp.

Very helpful hints

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: