View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiddlebom
Past Officer
Explorer

re: Facts & fiures

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/25/lord-of-the-rings-facts_n_4820532.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Explorer

That could possibly be the nerdiest thing I've ever read.

Explorer

I loved this! (I am a Big Nerd) I will admit that even having read all of the books, there were a few things I missed. 

I will also admit to having a migraine through parts of the Silmarillion because it was like reading someone's brain dump rather than reading a book. Was it just me on that one?

Maegilthalion
Officer / Donator
Explorer

Also being a Tolkien nerd, geek scholar, whatever you want to call it.  I enjoyed this post.

This is probably the nerdiest thing you've ever read Haf, as I did it from memory.....

I don't agree with all of what was presented though;

Let's start with Celebrimbor, who wraught the 3 elven rings of power.  He did, no question, and he may have designed the doors of Moria.  But he didn't build them.  The inscription on the doors read:  Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria.  Speak Friend and enter.  I Narvi made them.

In regards to the Balrog.  In the Two Towers, Gandalf describes his fight with the Balrog.  He clearly states the creature had wings.  Fortunately Gandalf 'smote his ruin upon the mountainside...'

The 5 Wizards are indeed Maiar, or Istari.  However, the power to change shape had not belonged to the Maiar since the end of the first age.  This is open to debate, as I extrapolated it from several references.

and last but not least:  Nothing in middle earth is as old as Tom Bombadil.

or Mars.....

Elrond said so during the council meeting. 'oldest and fatherless'

God I'm a geek.  If I could just figure out how to make MONEY off all this useless 'knowledge'....

Once you get through the Silmarillion twice, it goes by pretty easily...lol

Maeg.

The Silmarillion was an easy read compared to Atlas Shrugged by Ann Rand.

There is  50 page speech by the main character where your ready to jump out a window to make the pain stop.

Haslor

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rare Breed Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: