View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dadi
Proudcdn
Explorer

re: Guardian Write-up (Tanking)

I have updated the Wiki entry to reflect the changes with the Helm's Deep X-Pac.

http://rarebreed.guildlaunch.com/gwiki/index.php?page_name=Guardian_Class_Trainer&gid=233773

I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers !

Aurland
Past Officer
Explorer

You've got racial damage bonuses listed at 2% across the board.  They're 5%.

Juggernaut is NOT just a guaranteed block.  It is much more importantly immunity to combat states, and 100% block for multiple seconds, making you mostly immune to melee damage for a set duration.  It gives the healers time to stack HoTs on you, and ensures that you're still capable of holding taunt when bosses open with a stun, fear, etc.  It is why I can run in without sacrificing a pet on the way to the Balrog without dying.  Juggernaut on the first pack, Guardian's Pledge on the second (Evade helping with the tactical damage), Juggernaut on the last.  It is also extremely useful in that by setting yourself to 100% block, your heal-on-block ability can actually force a regeneration for just a bit more than the duration of Juggernaut if you're in a pinch, or give yourself time to survive while your healer is combat rezzed.  I find it to be hands down the most useful and versatile ability in the blue line.

Fortification buff:  while it says fellowship, I can confirm it is actually raid-wide, and does not require line of sight.  I have applied Fortification to people in other lanes and other groups in OD.

Break Ranks:  This is a guardian-specific mini version of Oathies.  It applies a raid-wide buff that adds damage to the player, rather than the mob.  This can be very useful on a fight where a DPS race exists, but the boss is only doing moderate damage.

Dadi
Proudcdn
Explorer

Aurland,

Thanks for the feedback.

I corrected the racial bonus; I did not realize that they had raised that with HD.

As for Juggernaut, a useful skill for some battles no doubt.  Since most of the tanking we do involves multiple mobs I prefer the additional War-chant targets and range over Juggernaut. 

Fortifications - Interesting that it works raid-wide and without line of sight.  I have a feeling the raid-wide may be a bug, but let's not tell Turbine !

Break Ranks - While it does do damage, it removes fortifications if you use shield-smash [edited].  Again, I would rather have the points in to War-chant.

The beauty of Tanking (and other roles) via the skill tree is that there are many different strategies that can all work.

Last edited by Proudcdn on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aurland
Past Officer
Explorer

Yeah, they corrected the tool-tip on that last patch.  It was never supposed to be shield-swipe, it was always shield-smash that triggers it, but the tool-tip was wrong, and as such, you have absolute control over when it triggers.  I usually hold onto Fortification at all times except when it is beneficial to the raid to flip it.  Re-building Fortifications usually occurs within a few seconds after Break Ranks is removed, but even still, you have to be very careful with it.  I initially did not take Break Ranks when it was released, but have found uses for it, and as such, just avoid it and keep it in my back pocket for special occasions.

I'll agree to disagree on Jug vs. War-chant if you will.  :)  I just don't attempt to do much damage when tanking.  I leave that to classes better suited to it, and focus entirely on holding agro and avoiding/mitigating damage.

Dadi
Proudcdn
Explorer

War-chant does not just do damage, it also acts as a taunt.

Dadi
Proudcdn
Explorer

Moved to the Guardian forum.

Andlen
Wanderer

Finesse helps with taunting mobs and holding agro in the new instances considering their high bpe. 

Jackal_Osiris
Member / Donator
Wanderer

Love the write up Dadi.  Question.  Are virtues still capped at 19?  Haven't played in a while and I know they have raised them over time.

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

Yes they are still 19.

Explorer

This was written when there were fewer trait points and no essences.  I need to update the info in terms of the build.  However, the skills are the same.

GDPR#4563365

re: GDPR#4563365

GDPR#4563365
Dadi
Proudcdn
Explorer

I have been meaning to get it updated.  Once I have my Mordor gear I will do it.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rare Breed Forum Index -> Guardian All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: