View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamen Winterwine

re: Steam Group

I was wondering if there's a Rare Breed Steam group out there already.  Sorry if there's already a topic for this but so far I haven't found a search feature for forum topics and I'm a bit of a n00b to the guildlaunch layout.  Often I'm around and available for grouping but not necessarily in game.  The best way to get in touch with me is through Steam messaging since I run my own Vent server for other games.  I find the best way to keep track of who's who is to have a Steam user group that people can join and have easy access to.  There's also a Steam mobile app for smartphones that uses a pretty small amount of data.  Anyhow, would love to join the group if there's already one and interested in seeing one in place if not... if not, anybody that wants to find me on Steam, my handle is the same, and so it the avatar pic.

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

Interesting! We've tended to shy away from being reachable outside game because we are able to fill groups generally with who is logged on. Awesome idea. I will put it on the agenda for the officers to chew on.

We do have a facebook page but that's not a great way to reach people in real time.

Yeah, I'm not on Facebook anyhow.  Darsh makes a living hosting social media stuff like that for businesses and non-profit organizations so if you wanted to expand your footprint, that's sorta his schtick.

There's filling groups and there's filling groups if you know what I mean, because I'm not sure I do.  ;)

The more avenues of engagement, the better... like kin-mail for folks that don't like to use the interweb to get their information.  What piqued my interest the most about Rare Breed was actually seeing Dadi's embuement guide hit the top of the LOTRO page on reddit. I knew a lot of you for a long time through various means but seeing original content signaled that you guys mean business and people across kinships and servers started copying you.

This is a solid kinship, arguably the best on Meneldor, or dare I say anywhere else.  You put the time and energy into developing the skills of your peers and selecting only those of the best temperament in the first place.  Giving people more avenues to associate with each other outside of the game and drive more traffic to the website is a good thing.  That's more potential recruits as well as more people reading Dadi's instruction manuals on how to be awesome, win friends, and influence people.  ;)

Well, thanks for the consideration.  I know you have a lot of important topics to discuss at the RickRoll (yeah, you got me) officer meetings.  :P

Aurland
Past Officer
Explorer

Tried looking for you on Steam.  Found a bunch of Kamen's, a couple Winterwines, but no Kamen Winterwines.

Kamen Winterwine

Heh, yeah it's just Kamen.  Look for the cute bunny rabbit.  :D

Sorry, I was intentionally vague due to fear of text-scrubbing bots but that's more of a concern with email addresses... still, I'm paranoid.  My bad.

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

I've started exploring Steam. Have to admit I'm not even on Twitter so this is a big leap! I've started a group that is called...wait for it...Rarebreed69 (/rolls eyes) to try and figure it out. Our name was taken egads!

My concern is that with multiple ways to find out about runs might cause confusion with the sign up process. Would we direct players to sign up on our kin website through steam or would this be a way for people to throw last minute groups together with buddies?

Sorry, my train of thought derails often at the station.  :)

The steam group would just be to help other Steam users in the kin find other Steam users.  The steam group could have a link that points back to the website, but the website should ideally have a sticky in the same prominence as the Vent instructions pointing to the Steam user group.  Everything should always feed to the website.  I don't think anyone would actually discover the kin through Steam, rather it be yet another feature for the discerning tech-savvy potential recruit.

I think I found the group you created:  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Rarebreed69

It's set to invitation only so you might want to open it up either to application or just wide open.  Most people aren't going to just stumble into the group, so I don't think there's a whole lot of reason to secure it too much.

As for it's use, just speaketh the magic words Klaatu Barada Nikto and you shall summon forth Kamen Winterwine, minstrel of great renown... or just "hey man we need a healer, get your ass in game" would work too.  :P

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

lol.

Ok I'll open it up and you guys can play around and report back with your findings or whatnot. I'll put it on the agenda for discussion at the next meeting.

Alrighty, with Hafwen's blessing I made a new group without the 69 in it... not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/meneldor

Most iterations of rare & breed were taken so I selected meneldor for the URL to the group, but this is subject to change as needed pending availability.

Due to some preliminary concerns, I've put the following blurb in the summary section.  Exact wording is subject to change, legalese, or any other manipulation deemed necessary.  

"This Steam usergroup is intended to compliment, not detract from, the kinship and its activities.  Please be mindful stewards of your community and respectful of others at all times.  Proper use of this community space should be to connect with your fellow kin-mates and invite them to in-game events, rather than draw your fellows away away from the game or from the kinship.  The http://rarebreed.guildlaunch.com/ website is the centralized location for all event plans, information, and policy communications."

I can grant any and all officers permissions to the group if anyone else wishes to make changes or administer it in any other way, though I don't expect much to be required beyond set it and forget it.  As is evident by the shocking number of impostor Kamens and Winterwines out there, finding the Steam user you're looking for can be difficult and this group should alleviate that somewhat.

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

Awesome. Thanks for running this test. We'll see how it functions for the kin and discuss our findings at the next officer meeting.

Just don't suggest twitter...ever...lol.

LOL my extent of twitter usage is to see why I can't log into LOTRO.

Please delete the "Rarebreed69" group to save some confusion.  thanks again.  :)

Vrkili
Noob

Hafwen Elfling wrote:

Interesting! We've tended to shy away from being reachable outside game because we are able to fill groups generally with who is logged on. Awesome idea. I will put it on the agenda for the officers to chew on.

We do have a facebook page but that's not a great way to reach people in real time.

Anything that makes Hafwen go outside her comfort zone and adds additional time restraints must be a good idea.

Some may find it nice to be able to play other games with kin members, helps when you want to dive into another multiplayer game but not deal with the chaos of random grouping.

I also have use my own vent server (hosted, not running one)  so I'm often not logged onto the RB one if grouped with a friend. Plus TeamSpeak seems to be dominant for most games. Steam also provides voice options, so users wouldn't have to clutter up the main vent or have a backup method to communicate through, if in small groups.

I am curious how the Steam Overlay works with LotrO (guessing not well, though voice may work).

Although I gotta go scrub my profile clean.

Kamen Winterwine

Overlay works well but I've heard from some people that the steam client causes additional lag.  I'm actually using the Steam downloaded version of LOTRO too so not sure if that really makes a difference.  I haven't been too impressed with the Steam voice chat features either.  I just have more friends on Steam than I do in the really real world and find it to be an excellent way to stay in touch, in addition to other resources, especially since IRC protocol is blocked by my mobile ISP.

Steam users are going to inevitably exchange contact information and the user group should make that much easier.  Once that exchange takes place, through the user group or otherwise, non-LOTRO gaming may occur.  My hope along with that of the kinship leadership though is that this exchange doesn't detract from kinship activities.  In other words, please be mindful of headhunting players for other games.  I had experiences with that in my last kin where a member recruited players for another MMO with laser-swords which I shall not name.  The group exists for the purpose of helping bring our fellow players into the game, not away from it.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rare Breed Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: