View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackal_Osiris
Member / Donator
Wanderer

re: Discord

I caught the message that was sent out about the Vent server being down and what seemed like an issue of funds affecting the TS server.  

Perhaps, you guys should look into Discord.  It is a free voice comm service that can be used via browser or a downloaded app.  There are various features associated with it, including chat rooms and connecting through your phone.  It also will allow you to see members logged in, what they are playing, and has administrative tools for room mods.  Friends of mine and I have been playing with it for some time now and enjoy it.  Just a suggestion.

https://discordapp.com/

Dstini
Explorer

My interpretation of the message was just that it was fairly easy to switch and to avoid duplication, we're only going to keep TS open.  As far as Discord, that's a good question, but I personally won't have the opportunity to test it at this time.  And either way, we're likely on a monthly or even multi-month plan for TS, so I don't expect to switch to something else without at least trying TS first.

I am somewhat worried by the couple TS server crashes I've seen though, hopefully that's ironed out very quickly.

We appreciate your input but there was a lot of thought and research put into the decision by the officers to go with Team Speak.

The kin has the RL funds to ensure we are using the best quality chat available thanks to our generous donators. Setting up the new chat was so incredibly simple that I didn't feel we needed to duplicate the service while we switch over.

Explorer

I would like to clear up a couple of things;

1) Funds are not an issue.  Our Team Speak server is the exact cost as our Vent server.  In fact, we got more slots for the same price.

2) We need a chat client that many other gamers on Arkenstone also use such that when we fill spots for a raid outside of a kin they can easily join.  On Arkenstone the hands down most popular is Team Speak.  I wanted to make the switch from Vent to TS 3 years ago when I first came to Rare Breed as Vent was antiquated and the quality was not great; however, on Meneldor virtually every raider across the server used Vent as their platform which made it easy to fill spots etc.

3) Any issues you may have experienced with crashing have absolutely zero to do with Team Speak.  This issues would be with our hosting site; in this case Clanwarz.  We will continue to monitor and evaluate this.  We can always switch if need be.

The decision has been made to go with Team Speak as outlined in this post:  http://rarebreed.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11122940&gid=233773

This does not mean that we will not keep an eye on Voice Chat options for the future, we are always looking to improve.  For the time being, we will be using Team Speak.

Sincerely,

Dadi

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rare Breed Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: