View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telinborn
Officer / Donator
Wanderer

re: Mumak fight procedure

Not sure how to manipulate my little file here to make it easy to see.  Just zoom in and check it out please.  See if this works next time you run the Mumak fight!  Good luck, Kenny

Seggal
Past Officer
Explorer

Rare Breed versus the Three Fat Elephants

I have been thinking about this encounter since we tried it unsuccessfully the other night and I had some ideas (not promising they are good ones) that I wanted to throw out.   Since I have only done this encounter a few times and during those times, I spent most of my time looking at Oliphant legs, I very open to input or correction.   The encounter seems to have three major elements of risk as outlined below:

• Mumaks have archer circles, stuns, and punts that in general wreak havoc upon the raid group. They can indiscriminately kill important elements of the raid if the targeted player is stunned or fails to react quickly.  They can punt player into the chargers for an instant death.

• Spawned Adds are created by damage to the Mumaks and at a certain point, reinforcements begin spawning every minute.   If the Adds are not dealt with, they can quickly overcome the raid.

• Fog of War – The mumaks block visibility and generally cause confusion.   Their punts cause players to be spread out and disoriented about their location.   Tanks do not have clear sight to Adds and players move or are tossed out of heal range.

During my limited experience I noticed two important elements.  First, it was difficult for one Tank to kite two elephants while the group killed the other.  Even with a dedicated kiter, we always seemed to have two or more Mumaks in camp.  Secondly, the Raid seemed to remain in a state of semi-recovery as attrition from archer circles, stuns, and charger deaths took it’s toll.   I throw out the strategy below for discussion.

The Raid is broken into two teams; the Kite Team and the Kill Team.

The Kite Team consists of 4 players; Two Kiters, a Healer, and a DPS.

Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 – The Kiters are responsible for keeping all the Mumaks away from the main raid group.   No Mumaks will be pulled to the main group and if they head to the raid group, they should be pulled away as soon as possible.   These Kiters should have combat run buffs.  I would appreciate some input from players that have kited the Mumaks as to what the dangers are.

Bravo 1 – The Healer is the quarterback of this encounter and likely has the toughest job.  This player will be responsible for healing the Kite Team.  In addition, since the Mumaks are being kited, I am assuming that most of the Adds will spawn out in the Kite area and many will likely head directly toward the healer.   The Healer should kite them to the Tank in the Kill Team.

Charlie 1 – This is where the poor abused hunter can really shine.  The hunters job is to do steady and concentrated damage on the Mumaks.   This damage will wear down the Mumaks while also causing the Adds to spawn.   The Hunter is an excellent choice because they are somewhat durable, have decent DPS, and good mobility.   I suspect that the Hunter could actually do damage to the best available Mumak target since each Mumak spawns 4 sets of Adds and they all eventually have to be dealt with.

The Kill Team would consist of one tank, healers and DPS (preferably with good AOE damage).

The Kill Team is solely responsible for killing the Adds.   The Tank will gather adds and pull them to the AOE kill spot.   He may have to extract any Adds that are intermingled with the Kite Team.   The Kill Team does not focus on the Mumaks at all, letting the Kite team drag them away whenever possible. 

If the Mumak’s are successfully being kited as I suggest above, the raid area should be clean with offer excellent visibility and Adds can be disposed of quickly and efficiently.   This strategy requires some patience as the desired result is a methodical wilting of the Mumak’s while eliminating all three risk associated with the encounter.   If pulled off with good skill and precision, it might actually be a bit boring.

I wish I could log in to show you how it is done without too much confusion.  The typed version is much more difficult.

You can split in to three teams;

Team 1; Rock to the far east. (Tank, healer, champ, RK, Cappy)

Team 2; rocks just to the left of the entrance. (Tank, healer, champ, RK, LM, Cappy)

Team 3; kiting tank. (Guard, Ward, or Cappy).

----------------------------

Team 1:  Focus on one elephant and the subsequent adds until 70%.

Team 2:  Focus on one elephant and the subsequent adds until 70%.

Tank:  Kite last elephant.  LM, keep anti stun on the kiting tank at all times.

At 70% health of team 1 elephant; swap elephants with the kiting tank.

Team 1 burn last elephant to 70%.

Team 2 hold DPS on elephants, just kill adds.

Team 3: Kite near team 2 so they can pull adds if need be.

---------------------------

When all elephants are at 70%; teams 1 and 2 all out DPS them (and their adds) until they are dead.

Team 3 kites elephant and adds.

Seggal
Past Officer
Explorer

We tried something similar to this but we had a single tank off by himself without support.   It did not work well because the two elephants were too close.

The other issue, of course, is the class mix.   Since it was a Kin Raid, you may end up with a mix of classes that are not ideal (fortunately many of us have multiple characters).

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

I cancelled the Monday raid because I intended to join a couple groups before then to find a good approach to this fight.  I've been doing other things this weekend, so I'm going to wait until I actually check it out before putting another raid on the calendar.

Have fun!  See you soon!

Kenny

Dadi
Proudcdn
Explorer

Seggal wrote:

The other issue, of course, is the class mix.   Since it was a Kin Raid, you may end up with a mix of classes that are not ideal (fortunately many of us have multiple characters).

This in itself can make any raid challenging, much less one of the hardest content releases in over 4 years !!!

The class makeup is integral to success.

Seggal
Past Officer
Explorer

The class makeup is integral to success.

This is the point I was trying to make.   If you happen to have that make-up, then the strategy can work great but if you do not have the class make-up then you need a different strategy.  As a kinship, it is not like we can exclude entire classes from Kin raids.   If that was the only way the encounter could be completed, we should be marching on Turbine's office with Torches and Pitch-forks but I am pretty sure they will say they did no such thing. 

I've stopped signing up because my Bear and Burg don't seem to work out, at least in these Raid fights with the class strategy we have going.  I'm working on my Champion and will then work on my Cappy to get them up to raiding levels with their virtues, traits and gear.  My Bear and Burg are both 82 points and 19's across the board, but my Champ/Cappy are like 70+ and 12-15's.

But this takes time, and unfortunately I've had a few surgeries lately that are keeping my time and attention span at a minimum.

I hope to join you all soon!

Pen

- Ithil Legendary - 50 RK Moonrager, 50 Beorning WunWun, 25 LM Samwell

Arkenstone - 120 Burglar Drakonthorn, 120 RK Moonrager, 120 Beorning Pendrakon, 115 Warden Aegris, 115 LM Drakborn, 115 Hunter Drakonen, 115 Mini Placido, 115 Capt Ralegh, 115 Champ Ulys

- Brandywine -  120 Burglar Drakonthorn

Gladden - 115 Guard Guardagang, 108 Beorning Drakonhide, 107 Mini Feliciano, 106 Hunter Chilln
Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

My mini isn't getting drops at all. Fortch my RK is. Going to get her a healing and DPS set to take either role as needed.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: