View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

re: Rare Breed Goodreads!

We've got some booky types in kin. Here's a thread for sharing your favourites!

I'll start with a series I just spoke about in kin chat. Its not brilliant by a long stretch but you'll want to read it in one sitting.

The Pirate series by Tim Severin. It's a series of books on the career of a pirate called Hector Lynch. The ladies will love him and the men will love him but not tell us.

Explorer

Just finished Game of Thrones and I have to say the books are really good. The plot line is a bit different, just FYI, but the story is really good. Took me most of the year to finish the entire series.

Also, If you've never read the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide series, I highly recommend it.  

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

I read the GoT series way back in 2006 and twice more since. My books fell apart they were so worn out.

Hnoss you should read the Diana Gabaldon series The Outlander and report back to me! Sorry Aurland if she leaves you for Jamie.

Explorer

The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead is still my favorite book series to date.  He takes the Legend of King Arthur, puts it into a historical context around actual events and people, and makes it a believable possibility, even Merlin, who is much more subtle than the typical legend, more of a Gandalf type where you could explain the "magic" another way, but those around him can't.  Also, if she leaves me for Jamie, I'll always have Charis, a gymnast that does vaults off of live bulls, to keep me company.

HnossSeithr
Explorer

I remember that part of the books, pretty sure the gymnast in question is nude.

ParzRPO
Noob

re: Ready, Player One

Probably my favorite book of the last 10 years is Ready, Player One, by Ernest Cline. It's where I got my name Parz from, and it's particularly meta with this group. It's about a teen on a hunt for an eccentric billionaire's fortune, but if he wants to find it, he has to master all things 80s, video games, and pop culture. The hunt is conducted in the OASIS, a futuristic MMO. 

Great writing, terrific story, and sort of that book that sums me up (video games, 80s, MMOs).

Ready, Player One on Amazon

Parz

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

I bet that's a fun read. I'm going to check it out. Although I am strangely drawn to the naked bullriding heroine too. So many choices!

Explorer

Oh parz you just listed one of my all time favorites.

It was recommended to me by fiddle...he needs to make a come back.

I got tons of recommendations!

A few:

The seventh tower (6 volumes) by Garth Nix (More fantasy than anything)

The night angel trilogy by Brent Weeks (Grimy and crude fantasy...close to game of thrones, just a bit less politics)

Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (Fiction...a little story about a boy in britain at the start of world war 2)

You will now be known as Glanarion, Dethroner of the Dread Terror to those you meet in your travels.
Borgpaw
Member / Donator
Noob

I am a Stephen King nut, have over 60 first editions and have read almost every one at least once (still have a couple to read yet) The Dark Tower series is the best series although I am really getting into the "Mr. Mercedes" series. I think the scariest book I have ever read was and is "Pet Sematary"

Alasse Megilindir
Member / Donator
Noob

The Grail Quest series by Bernard Cornwell, 3 volume set:  The Archers Tale, Vagabond, and Heretic.  Adventures and hardships of an archer, son of a village priest, set in the time of the War of the Roses.  Love, deception, violence, abuse of power, historical conflicts.  What's not to like?

Boy finds dragon egg series by Christopher Paolini, 4 volume set.  Eragon, Brisinger, Eldest, and Inheritance.  Fantasy.  Good vs Evil.  Men, elves, dwarves, no hobbits.  Two movies, one animated, were in my opinion horribly delivered.  Wish somebody would step up and give it the LOTR trilogy treatment it deserves.

Evangeline by Longfellow, poetry from the mid-1800's.  Struggle for survival of separated lovers during the British expulsion of Acadians from Nova Scotia.

Faldo
Wanderer

re: My recent reads

Non-fiction:

I just finished a book called, "Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus" -- this is a well written story of how a guy raised as a very devout Muslim sets out to prove the superiority of Islam over Christianity (his family is living in the USA). What makes it interesting is that he ends up doing the opposite! It all comes down to a crisis as he has to choose between his Faith and his family -- for embracing one will surely mean losing the other.

It's a very helpful book to understand how Muslims think (and how the way they think is different from the way we view life as westerners). Note: this is not a book about criticizing Islam. Rather it is a story of a person's honest search for the Truth.

Fiction:

David Weber

Honor Harrington series -- known as space opera, features a very likable female protagonist thrown into impossible situations, who by sheer force of will and determination somehow finds a way to win. I enjoy the description of the battles because the author takes time to explain the technology and how it makes a difference in their tactics.

Safehold series -- unusual story of a planet colonized by refugees from earth. As the story unfolds you realize that the inhabitants were intentionally 'kept in the dark' by the creation of a false religion by the founders. In this religion the original founders are known as archangels and all forms of technology are evil and outlawed. This religion is the glue that holds society together and no one thinks of questioning it.

But ... the artificial intelligence of one of the original ships suddenly one day comes 'awake' and discovers the fraud that has been perpetrated on the people. Outraged, it sets out on a mission to tell people the truth, overthrow the false religion, and re-institute technology, but it's not as easy as it might seem.

Military thriller:

Tom Clancy (Jack Ryan series),

Dale Brown (Flight of the Old Dog) - interesting story about using an old B-52 for a secret mission to fly into Russia and destroy some kind of super weapon the Russians are building.

-Faldo

Kalil666

re: The Elric Saga

Besides the Lord of the Rings I really like to read The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock. That is where I got the surname for Kalil from-Mournblade. It is the twin chaos blade of Stormbringer.

woodsmark
Past Officer
Wanderer

I'll toss in another huge thumbs up for Ready Player One.

Areren rec'd it to me, and wow, was it a page-turner!  The movie comes out in March, 2018 (in IMAX and 3D, for those that prefer those formats), and Spielberg is at the helm.

If you played vintage video games in the 80's, or just love the pop culture of that decade, this book is for you.

Hathornna
Officer / Donator
Traveller

re: Re: Goodreads

I just bought Ready Player One because my brother recommended it so highly! Looking forward to reading it!  I'm currently engrossed in The Way of Kings series by Brandon Sanderson. Book three just came out, and it's wonderfully detailed epic fantasy. Not a light read, but great. Starts with Way of Kings. But, like many of Stephen King's books, most of Sanderson's are tied together in an unfolding greater story of the Cosmere. Not necessary to know all that to enjoy his books, but fun for those who are looking for clues.

Hamhand the Magnificent
Officer
Traveller

Oh boy...where to begin:

I am currently reading Misbehaving by Richard Thaler.  He just won the nobel prize in economics.  This is a history and primer for behavioral economics.  We written, light and humorous.  Give some really interesting insight into the way people think (hint: it is not much like how classical economics assumes people do)

I recently finished 'Their Eyes Were Watching G*d' by Zora Neale Hurston.  Hard to recommend this book any higher.  Zora Hurston essentially invents the strong, African-american woman archetype in 1937!  

I also recently finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.  You may have seen the film.  I did not and am pretty sure they could not have adequately re-produced this novel.  Foer in both this book, and the previous 'Everything is Illuminated' has established himself as an amazing, albeit unconventional storyteller. 

I would also recommend N.K. Jemisin's Borken Earth series.  Only 2 of a planned trilogy are currently available, The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate, but a really solid work of fantasy/science fiction.  I am anxiously awaiting the finale.

For something very different, yet worth the time to read, Annie Dillard's 'For the Time Being'  Not even sure how to explain this book.  Just check it out on Amazon - if the sample grabs you, buy it.  You wont be disappointed.

Another cool sci-fi series is Wesley Chu's Tao Series - The Lives of Toa, the Deaths of Toa and the Rebirths of Tao.  Ancient aliens which inhabit human beings wage a war for control of the earth and an out of shape IT tech Roen becomes host to a 3,000 yr old being Tao, and must do his part to save his planet.  A bit like Chuck meets Star Wars meets Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.  Fun and quick.

I'll stop there.  Hit me up in-game if you want any recommendation in other genre's.  I read most of them.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rare Breed Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: