View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maegilthalion
Officer / Donator
Explorer

re: Maeg's traffic light hack

Hey Kin, 

I don't know if any of you caught the Unabomber mini-series (Manhunt:  Unabomber).  It focused in particular on how we just take things for granted and blindly obey set rules.  The glaring example is a single car sitting at a red light, (wasting gas), with no other cars present.

So I think I still know Rare Breed, and that kinnies are not people to blindly follow much of anything (insert Derp joke here), so here is a hack I discovered so you're not the lemming sitting at the light, and so you don't have to run the damn thing.

This hack works for any traffic light that has sensors embedded in the pavement.  These look like dark black octagons where I live, and there are usually 2-3 of them deep at any given stop light.

This hack also works when there is traffic at a light and you want to speed things up a bit, but only if you're the 'front' car and there is nobody behind you.

So what do you do?  simply back up over the previous sensor, tricking the light into thinking there's another car now waiting behind you.  Then pull back up to your position at the line.   Depending on other cars waiting, the light may change immediately, or may speed up it's cycle and shave a bit off your wait.

Disclaimer:  Maeg not responsible if you back up into someone, not even a little bit...

Happy non-lemmingness  ;)

M-

Wait, people still stop at red lights?

Pfft...slow down and honk, the Philly way.

Hamhand the Magnificent
Officer
Traveller

I miss Maeg

Dadi
Proudcdn
Explorer

You can also flash your high beams on and off in rapid succession if you are the front car.  The flashing mimics the lights of emergency vehicles and the sensors on the facing traffic lights picks it up.  It changes the lights to green.  A really good flashlight works too. 

Hafwen Elfling
Explorer

Rare Breed, causing traffic havoc since 2006

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: